Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Looking at my grandmother today, I have more respect for her than ever

Here's the latest update. Israel just bombed our major ports from the south to the north, in both mostly Muslim and Christian areas including Saida, Beirut, Jounieh, Batroun and Amchit…all of which are civilian and commercial ports. They also bombed the lighthouse in Beirut, Lebanese army outposts in Saida, the country's only grain silo at Beirut's port, and the water reservoir in Saida. They have also been systematically bombing our gas stations. 20 of them to date have been destroyed. I am no international lawyer, but by any standard what they are doing are war crimes. To attack our army, and such civilian infrastructure as water and grain silos is absolutely and categorically a war crime. These attacks are completely inhumane. And all for what? 2 soldiers? These two soldiers, few hours after their capture, were offered up in a peaceful prisoner exchange in return for Lebanese detainees, some of whom have been unlawfully imprisoned for over 25 years. Undoubtedly the return of their two soldiers is a lame excuse. It seems to me and to many others here that those two soldiers are scapegoats. I would not be surprised if Israel sacrificed them in order to have the feeble excuse to bring the whole of Lebanon under siege.

That is what we are now. A country under siege. Nothing is sacred here. Everything is a target. Do not think for a second that anything about these attacks is simply aimed at weakening Hizballah. It is weakening the whole country, trying to break us all. Several families in their entirety, mothers, fathers and their children today alone have been killed. Today, the Israeli army gave the people of the Southern Lebanese town of Marwahin two hours to leave their village. Out of fear, they packed up and started to leave. Shortly after they left their village, Israeli helicopters targeted their cars, killing 23 people, 9 of whom were children. These were not long-range missiles that accidentally landed on the fleeing civilians. These were targeted missiles fired from helicopters just above them.

The majority of the 150+ people that Israel has killed in the last few days are children. They are demolishing the country, having bombed both Muslim and Christian areas. All forms of civilian infrastructure have been hit. And Israel has precluded us from any form of escape. By air is impossible since they've decimated our airport. By sea is impossible since Israeli battleships line our shore and have bombed our ports. By land is impossible since Israel has bombed all the roads between Lebanon and Syria and demolished all connecting roads and bridges in the southern half of the country.

As for me, I am in Beirut in our home here. Everyone is just staying put since being on the roads anywhere is not the safest idea at the moment. I just came back home with my parents from checking on my grandmother. The roads are eerily empty. She's doing ok. She is the sweetest, softest lady. And I'm not just saying that because I'm related to her. She never has a bad word about anyone, never passes judgment on anything. While we were playing cards this evening, every so often she would pass a small comment likening what's happening now to other times she has lived. Sitting at the card table with her I thought over her life. Two times in her life before she has left her home because of Israel. The first in 1948 when she had to flee her home in Haifa under Zionist terrorist siege with my grandfather, father, age 3, and uncle, age 6 months. After the Israeli terrorist organizations forced the departure of the Palestinians from their homes and land through massacre, they then declared the state of Israel. A state born out of terrorism. Those Zionist terrorist organizations, the Haganah and the Irgun, that targeted the local Palestinian Arab populations, massacred them and forced the departure of the rest, were transformed into the Israeli Defense Force and the Mosad; the Israeli army and the Israeli Intelligence respectively. Now they belong to a state and perpetrate state-sponsored terrorism.

Again in the 80's my grandmother with my grandfather were forced to leave Lebanon, which had become their de facto home since the creation of the state of Israel had precluded them from returning to their home, land and businesses in Palestine. To add insult to injury during our civil war in Lebanon, Israel took the opportunity to invade, bomb and occupy us. Their occupation of Lebanon only ended 6 years ago, and even then they still occupy areas in dispute.

Once the civil war in Lebanon ended my grandmother and my grandfather moved back to Beirut from what became their new home in Washington, D.C. Things here had settled and the country was optimistic, rebuilding and on a positive trend. These last six months, the investments had been pouring in, construction projects going up, tourists filling the country with 10,000 people coming into our country of 4 million daily. The country had been on a huge economic upswing. Until this past Wednesday. Why is that? I wish I had a short, clear answer. However, sitting with my grandmother today, I realize that once again, her security is in danger and her home is no longer safe. My grandfather passed away 2 and a half years ago never having seen the place of his birth again. I still carry the deeds to his properties, apartments, flour mills and bank accounts. All of which have been taken without compensation or recognition by Israel.

I can understand why she may not want to leave. I can understand why my parents may not want to leave. Leaving runs the risk of foregoing everything you leave behind. Everything you've worked hard to establish. I personally have never myself lived that kind of loss. I hope that I never will. However, we are faced here in Lebanon today with an inhumane attacker. One with a history of disregard for human life, one that has sacrificed both the livelihood and lives of others for its own gain. And you don't have to look back to its inception in1948 for these examples in Israeli history. Look at the history of the last few hours here in Lebanon.

Looking at my grandmother today, I have more respect for her than ever. I do not know how she has managed to maintain her soft demeanor, polite nature and soft-spoken manner. After living her lifetime, I do not think I could be as quiet as she. It's time for us all to raise our voices.

Always,
Reem

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home